Thursday, March 02, 2006

Ok...

So I almost died yesterday. Seriously. No Exaggerating here. My doctor prescribed an antiobiotic called Keflex for me to take. I had never taken this medication before. So yesterday evening I took my FIRST dose of just 1 pill. My husband and I were in the garage having a cigarette when all of a sudden my tongue started to itch!!! I thought I was going crazy cause WHY would my tongue be itching?!?!?!?! The itching spread all over my face, so I went to wash it off. Well I felt a little better then until I could feel my tongue swelling in the mouth. I yelled for A to call EMS. Well 15 fricken minutes later they arrived with me lying in my driveway unable to breathe. How scary. Suffocating is one of my worst fears of dying to begin with...So my blood pressure clocked in at 160/110, and my heart rate was 160 in the ambulance. Now I must add I am a nurse. So I understood everything they were frantically saying in the ambulance. Freaked me out. I heart the words stroke, heartattack, because my vital sign were danagerously high. My respirations were like an 8 (20 is normal) so I had to have a tube in my throat to breathe. The real kicker came when I heard them say they had to take me to the closer hospital (which is NOT the best) or I would not make it. But I am alive. I cant believe it. When I got to hold my daughter today all i could do was cry; I kept thinking that I might NOT have been around today to see her at all.....So I am officially banned from all cephalosporin antibiotics. Which is pretty much all of them, I cant have penicillan either because there is a cross over rate if you are allergic to other antibiotics....So lets just pray I NEVER get another infection!!!

3 comments:

No Longer In Crisis said...

Oh my gosh! Praise the Lord that you are okay and home and now writing about it all. That is terribly frightening - and our reliance on antibiotics...oooooh. I'm taking your post as a reminder to not take today for granted.

Lisa said...

Thank God you're ok. I would have been terrified!

Michelle said...

It was definately scary!! I have never been in a situation where I faced possible death before...I just take it as a hint that god has more things planned for me!!!
Michelle