Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Homecoming Part 2

When Baby S was 2 weeks old I was contacted for the first time by her biodad. He called me when I was at work so I could not answer right away. I listened to his voicemail with my heart in literally in my throat. I decided to take a break and go outside and call him back. When "W" (biodad) answered the phone I was speechless for a minute. We chatted and he asked questions about Baby S. How she was doing, ect. By that time Baby S had a few health problems. She was a preemie; and after about a week of having her home she decided she did not like to breathe very well. She would take some pauses and sometimes would turn blue. It scared me at first but I am a nurse so I regained my composure rather quickly to revive her. That landed us a trip to the ER. She was diagnosed with sleep apnea & reflux. We were sent home after 7 days in the hospital with an apnea monitor and a bag full of medication. I explained all of this to W. He was genuinely concerned. He expressed his interest of wanting to visit her. I assured him we would set something up soon. Everything was a little hectic then. We had just been threw a major hurricane that caused major damage to our area. We set up a meeting for the following week a few days before ANOTHER major hurricane was supposed to hit near us again. We agreed to meet at a Mcdonalds. I thought that would be neutral enough. Plus he was bringing Little Boy R with him as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm puzzled. You have to set up your own meetings and visits between the biofamily and your foster children? The social workers arrange all that and monitor them where I'm at. Hope all is well with you and your family. God Bless you!

Michelle said...

Our caseworker told us what the court ordered as far as visitation, and she told us should could set it up for us if we wanted to. I have a busy schedule so i thought it best to just schedule it myself with the biodad and just update the caseworker...
Some foster situations I would not have felt comfortable doing that, but this one just felt different to me...

Lisa said...

Hurricanes? Do you live in the Katrina/Rita area too? We had to leave for both last year, just in case they made a sudden turn in our direction.

Michelle said...

We live in SW Florida...last year we were hit directly by Charlie and then with the one right after tht i forget the name of it it already!! but charlie hit us pretty bad....