Sunday, February 05, 2006

So we decided we wanted to adopt.....

Our decision did not come that easily. After we had been married for 2 or 3 years; we decided to try to start our family. Our course I had an inkling that we would have problems. I did alot of reading and researching to try to find out what could be "wrong" with me. My periods were irregular, I had been having a steady weight gain, and slight facial hair was starting to sprout up unempectedly. That let me to think I had PCOS. My OB/GYN refered us to a Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE). He put us both through a battery of tests. Semen analysis, HSG, blood work, ultrasounds......You name it. The RE told us everything came back pretty much normal. He diagnosed me with PCOS due to the traits I exhibited, but my blood work was normal. He decided our next step should be to try Clomid; which is an ovulation stimulant. We tried 6 rounds of clomid before we decided to move on. I had not ovulated once while on that medicine. So we took a break. Saved some money. Next step IVF. We were told we had an excellent chance, being young and healthy. My eggs were exquisite. LOL. Round One. I lost count of how many injections I gave myself in my thighs. The shot in my butt at the end of the cycle was a doozie. Egg retrieval was painful. We harvested 37 eggs. The RE was pleased. 25 fertilized. 3 were implanted. 15 were good enough to freeze for future tries . None however implanted. I was crushed. I thought for sure I was going to be a mommy. Nope. Not this round. We took about a 6 month break before we tried FET (frozen embryo transfer). 3 implanted again, we had 6 eggs remaining frozen. But it didnt work. Desperation filled my heart. I KNEW I wanted to be a mommy. Iwas READY. I WANTED it soooooo bad. So again we tried with our final FET and transfered the remaining 4 embryos that survived the thaw. Again we were to be disappointed. We were down but not out. We wanted it bad enough. But we realized we wanted to be parents. It didnt matter how we got there. Biological or not; we were made to be parents. We didnt want to ossibly waste anymroe money on treatment. THere were chldren out there who needed parents as much as we needed a child.

No comments: